Friday, June 1, 2012

The Love of Classics

I recently attended a writing group, where the most experienced writer in the group told us to read voraciously in the genre we are writing for.  I can't get my nose out of the great books, so does that mean I am destined to write a classic?  I don't think so, it probably means to read more current children's books and get my head out of the classics.  Still, you never know what the Lord will do with the raw materials you surrender.  Maybe my books will be classics in the sense that generations of my future family, such as great-grandchildren will be reading from them and learning from them, or at times just relating and feeling reassured by them.  Now that I think about it, those things would be wonderful, and in some ways, far greater than any hopes of being on a random "classic" best seller list.

Still, I want to share the love of my favorite classics with everyone I can, since they breathe truth and life and love into my spirit like almost noting else can, apart from God's word and my family.  We even named all three of our kids after classic writers and characters (Quimby (Ramona), Lewis (C.S.), and Jane (Austen) since their books are so simply delicious to us.  So far, the kids are too, granted I get a break every couple of weeks :)

Favorite classics I can't get enough of?  The above authors/characters obviously, along with Alcott, Dickens', and Laura Ingalls Wilder, Tolkien, Twain, and Ten Boom.

No comments:

Post a Comment